The International News Media Association (INMA) today confirmed 13 executives to its governing Board of Directors for terms taking effect June 1. The election and confirmation of Board members were made during INMA’s Annual Business Meeting, which was held virtually via Zoom.
Elected to Board terms were:
- Marcelo Benez, Executive Commercial Director, Folha de S.Paulo, Brazil
- John Boynton, CEO, Torstar, Canada
- Carsten Erdmann, Editor-in-Chief Digital, Funke Media, Germany
- Frederic Kachar, CEO, Infoglobo, Brazil
- Frank Mahlberg, Managing Director Bild Media Group, Axel Springer, Germany
- Martha Ortiz, Chief Editor, El Colombiano, Colombia
- Pam Siddall, Co-President, Advance Local, United States
- Rika Swart, CEO, Media24 Newspapers, South Africa
- Anthony Tan, Deputy CEO, Singapore Press Holdings
Also at the Annual Business Meeting, INMA division boards notified members of presidential appointments since the last business meeting one year ago. Division boards look after the interests of INMA members in their regions, creating events and meet-ups to serve regional needs. Division board presidents serve on the INMA Board of Directors. These include:
- Latin America Division: Luis García, CEO and General Manager, Los Andes/Grupo Clarín, Argentina
- North America Division: Ann Poe, Senior Director of Digital Consumer Revenue, Advance Local, United States
- South Asia Division: Pawan Agarwal, Deputy Managing Director, Dainik Bhaskar, India
Meanwhile, the chair of a new Young Professionals Committee will be elevated to the INMA Board of Directors. The committee chair for the next year is Katharina Neubert, director membership strategy of Business Insider. The committee governs a Young Professionals Initiative for INMA, set up to engage rising stars of news media companies under the age of 30.
In total, the Board slate approved by INMA members today includes four new Board appointments: Carsten Erdmann, Katharina Neubert, Ann Poe, and Martha Ortiz.
During the Annual Business Meeting, INMA President Damian Eales of News Corp Australia recognised six executives departing the Board. They include:
- Brooke Christofferson, formerly of Gannett, as North America Division President.
- Kirk Davis, formerly of Gatehouse Media.
- Michael Doorly, formerly of Independent News & Media.
- Griet Ducatteeuw, formerly of Mediahuis.
- Pit Gottschalk of Pit’ch and Sport1.
- Rajiv Verma, formerly of HT Media, as South Asia Division President.
Eales praised their service to INMA and made a special commendation for Gottschalk, who served nine years on the INMA Board of Directors, a rarity in the association’s 90-year history.
The Board of Directors is the governing fiduciary body of INMA and meets at least monthly via video to discuss, guide, and approve association matters.