Voice of Real Australia
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
ACM is Australia's biggest independent media organisation, made up of hyper-local and specialty news brands. The Voice of Real Australia podcast harnesses the best stories from our extensive network of regionally based journalists. The podcast was borne out of a newsletter which proved concept that an audience in one regional market is interested in the stories from another market, on the otherside of the coutnry. It engages listeners through long-form, sound-rich audio features with deep regional roots. The compelling character-driven and community-focussed approach keeps listeners coming back for more.
The podcast is also part of ACM's initiative to create a cohesive network brand and illustrate the talent of its 600-strong journalist base. It is part of ACM's strategy to grow audience across voice assistant and mobile.
- Develop a national podcast for ACM from a network of more than 160 titles across rural and regional communities around Australia
- Expand what was a traditionally print-reliant organisation into a producer of high-quality audio storytelling
- Create a podcast-listening habit among regional audiences largely ignored by mainstream podcast creators
- Diversify our journalists’ skill-set by training them in recording audio, under the guidance of newly employed audio specialists
- Provide a new and highly engaged audience for advertisers interested in reaching national audiences at a local level. Reaching regional Australia during a time when many city dwellers are making tree-changes
Results for this campaign
The Voice of Real Australia podcast has succeeded in producing high quality, engaging, audio content for regional audiences and beyond. It has engaged with diverse communities to tell their stories in depth, and share different perspectives. Audiences across markets are embracing this showcase of outstanding stories.
Did you know about Australian's forgotten fossils, Tassie devils released on the main land, the struggle of farmers under ACT's lease laws, how a hippy commune is doing after a deadly fire wiped it out, why Dubbo needs a drug court? These are just some of the dinner-table conversation starting stories we tell.
The podcast has also promoted ACM as a brand to its audience, and produced subscription conversions through geo-targeted audio ads. We've been bolstered by listener statistics weighted towards regional listeners.
- Fortnightly podcast Voice of Real Australia created with 11 episodes and counting
- More than 17,000 listens and growing
- Featured in Apple Podcasts New & Noteworthy section
- "Listen" section incorporated on ACM websites, daily bulletins created for daily newspapers, audio player incorporated into daily papers' homepages and apps
- Collaborations with 6 print journalists to produce audio stories, taking their stories to new audiences
- Initial figures show an overrepresentation of regional listeners and older listeners
- Geo-targeted advertising used to serve the right ads to the right audience
- Converting subscribers to our digital publications, with our audio subscribers proving to be twice as engaged with our digital content than regular subscribers