Hindustan Times Code-a-thon: India´s Largest Coding Olympiad
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
Technology today has become a way of life, making coding an extremely important skill to possess to thrive in this competitive era. Hindustan Times Codeathon platform enabled students to learn to code thereby putting them on an accelerated path to success by enabling them to learn, participate & win.
- Create a platform for school students that introduces coding at a young age
- Make Indian schools more tech-savvy and prepare students for the cutthroat global competition
- Higher revenue extraction from the GenZ segment
- Developing an EdTech platform and getting registrations
- Creating avenues for Coding for Cause – free access to coding for the underprivileged
- Driving HT to leadership in terms of engagement with the school network
What is HT Codeathon?
While India has a lot of coders, coding for kids is novel and nascent. Institutional coding is not yet developed for kids while coding remains premium and aspirational for parents and cool for kids. Through HT Codeathon, HT has created an opportunity to build the next generation of coders.
HT Codeathon provides various opportunities to the kids to help them enhance their critical skills, logic building, and problem-solving skills by learning programming languages such as HTML, CSS, Python.
In a pilot reach out to principals and teachers in 200 schools via webinars, 73% found it relevant & 93% would recommend this program to the students, while 99% wanted HT to connect to the parents.
- Primary: 200,000 students in classes VI-IX with families
- Secondary: 2,000 schoolswith principals & teachers
- Tech-enabled coding-focused organizations for Sponsorships
Delhi-NCR, Mumbai, Punjab & other locations via online registrations
- Revenue: Viaregistrations & sponsorships
- 5-month 360-degree campaign:
- School Amplification: Individual school webinars / physical meetings with experts
- Digital: Digital awareness & performance campaigns on social media
- Print: Print Ads & Edit-coverage in Hindustan Times main & school editions
- Radio: Ad-promos and interviews with participants & sponsors
Results for this campaign
After a marathon run where more than 6,000 schools participated with over 61,000 registrations, students learned programming languages such as HTML, CSS, Python via learning videos, quizzes & assessments, and our sponsors got cumulative media cover of more than 10 Cr ($1.5 Mn.)
Product Solutions were co-created with the Product & Sales teams, plugging insights from research groups and sponsor preferences. This unique offering brought a paradigm shift in how media was packaged together for sponsors while creating a platform that could bring affordable learning modules on coding to our end users, i.e. the students.
Since the launch of this program, Hindustan Times has solidified its presence in the school networks even more despite the COVID-19-pandemic with increased engagement opportunities and program extensions in the foray.
Massive social media & lead generation campaigns across all platforms including Google, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube & Trade Media B2B Websites resulted in the biggest 360-deg campaign for this segment.
Additionally, specific events were curated & executed just for Codeathon:
- Press Conference to HT Codeathon launch with Dy CM of Delhi, Manish Sisodia with multiple interviews & coverage resulting in massive organic buzz
- Webinar with a scientist from CERN. Geneva for all HT Codeathon participants
- Finale event conducted in a virtual format for winners’ announcement with representation from all sponsors
KPIs Target Vs Achieved:
- Achieved 4X of targeted numbers
- Achieved 3X of targeted numbers
- Campaign KPIs
- Digital Reach Target: 10 mn || Achieved: 30 mn (80% Organic)
- Video Views Target: 10 K || Achieved: 50 K
- Native Articles on HT Properties: Target: 20 || Achieved: 30
- Print Ads Target: 30K sqcm. || Achieved: 50K sqcm.
- Radio Ads Target: 10K secs || Achieved: 14K secs
- Number of participating schools: 2,000 || Achieved: 6,000