On The Road
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
Mike Drew knows no limits when it comes to trying to get the ideal shot for his videos in the On The Road series. In the video Better Lands, for example, Drew laid on the wet, muddy ground for close to an hour — and used 200 frames — trying to capture the perfect photo of dirt-coloured rainwater dripping from the rocky roof of an alcove into a small puddle. As Drew says, “If you aren’t getting dirty, then you just ain’t doing it right.” With his own gentle style of narration, Drew often shares tips and tricks of the trade with his audience while shooting unforgettable scenes.
Objectives of this video series:
- To create high quality video that enhances audience experience on digital platforms;
- To delight community members with video that entertains, increasing their interest in, and loyalty to, our news brand;
- To create habits of use and regular visits to our digital platforms;
- To entrench our brand as being associated with impactful visual storytelling;
- To amplify a traditional photo and text feature into a new dimension, amplifying audience experience of the content;
- To highlight the beauty of the part of the world we live in, serving up “news people can use” in terms of ideas for day tripping.
- To offer uplifting content to audience during a time of pandemic darkness.
Results for this campaign
- On The Road started as a photo and text feature many years ago. By creatively amplifying the feature with a weekly video instalment, we’ve built on the popularity of a traditional feature and evolved it into an enhanced content offering that improves audience experience.
- By ensuring this is a weekly offering, the video series keeps fans coming back each week and leads to increased brand loyalty and regular engagement with our digital platforms.
- It’s not unusual for one of these videos to garner 8,000 views on our YouTube channel. When you multiply that by 52 weeks — and then add in additional videos occurring on our website and social media platforms — the audience is significant for us. Additionally, pre-roll ads garner revenue for our news organization.
- The video series supplies clips suitable for short content hits on social media platforms.
- The high quality — and beauty — of the videos strengthens the ties between our brand and the production of top notch and visually impactful local content — a key goal for us.
- The video series advances our relationship with our community. It’s not unusual for viewers to contact Mike Drew to get extra details about his road trips or ask for advice on where they should go. The videos prompt action.
- Feedback received from the community regarding this column is overwhelmingly positive. Groups have asked Mike Drew to give presentations on the video project. Some viewers call On The Road the best part of their week.
While there are 52 or so videos in this weekly video project from 2020, we’ve chosen four to represent this series.
You can either view them as published on calgaryherald.com or, as per entry rules, we’ve also published them in an easy-to-access platform for judges at Spark Adobe. (Videos are at the bottom of each Spark url page.)
A Comet Tale: https://spark.adobe.com/page/dxLx9NFSOElE3/
Better Lands: https://spark.adobe.com/page/gNnjsAJ6J95w7/
Lunar Light: https://spark.adobe.com/page/W9uEK3ceet0ai/
It Rained: https://spark.adobe.com/page/uoncg9olQqRxd/