Overview of this campaign
Mondelez’s challenge was to increase penetration and share of Cadbury Dairy Milk (CDM) in Chennai. In spite of high Top of Mind awareness, the sales were not increasing.
The business objective was to increase the penetration and share of CDM in Chennai.
The marketing objectives were:
1) To understand the snacking behaviour of a Chennai consumer
2) To understand trends of hybrid snacking
3) To increase brand affinity and purchase frequency of CDM
Insight – Chennai has a rich and varied food culture; while it has an affinity for sweets, the snacking preferences lean towards savouries. It has a strong ‘tiffin’ culture both at and outside home. Hybrid snacking across sweets, savouries and tiffin items is a nascent trend and hence an opportunity for CDM to invest and expand.
The campaign objectives were:
1) To integrate CDM seamlessly into consumer lives and routines
2) To create local brand connect by localizing the campaign communication
We conceptualized ‘Cadbury Sweet Kondattam’, to induce the taste of CDM to the masses by integrating it with popular sweets, snacks and tiffin items. (Kondattam means celebration in Tamil)
A seven-week campaign that had a two-pronged strategy.
1) To expose Chennaites to Cadbury infused sweets and snacks at locally popular “out of home” snacking joints.
Tie-ups with popular food retailers were done to incorporate CDM in locally popular sweets and snacks to engage the masses to eat and vote at a category level. 5 retail chains, with 50 outlets, led the campaign and added a touch of Cadbury Dairy Milk in their menus. They created 40+ innovative Cadbury sweets and snacks.
2) To inspire a more varied usage of CDM at home.
Consumer contest was launched to give a twist to popular sweets and snacks by incorporating CDM.
For local connect, renowned celebrities, Chef Damu, Divyadarshini and popular Movie star were the face of the campaign.
Locally popular TV celebrities were appointed as “ambassadors” for individual retail outlets, to encourage public to visit, purchase, taste and vote.
Results for this campaign
- A 360-degree marketing campaign was launched with high impact print ads, TVC aired on regional GECs, movie theatres, digital media, radio spots and outdoor.
- Print: 36 inserts in The Hindu & Group’s vernacular newspaper Indu Tamil Thisai
- Radio: 12,000 seconds, 72 RJ Mentions, 10 OB Visits, 5 FB Lives by Radio partner Big FM
- Social Media: 100 posts and stories on Social Media handles + SM handles of Celebrities. Over 4.5 Lakh engagement on Social media
- TV: Spots on popular TV Channels, for 4 weeks and 7 movie theatres
- Outdoor: 7 Bus Shelters, 2 Outdoor Hoardings
- Large scale sampling drives were conducted wherein Cadbury infused sweets and snacks were taken to high footfall areas such as beaches and malls across the city.
Over 26,000+ Missed calls and 5000+ votes received through SMS
- In the second phase of consumer cookery contest, engagement was done at cooking classes, ladies-clubs and residential welfare association with Chef Damu.
500+ recipes from contestants received through whatsapp
The campaign culminated on 14th Apr, Tamil New Year with a Grand Finale at VR Chennai, a popular city mall. 21 finalists were chosen from 100 shortlisted contestants and they battled it out in a live cooking challenge using a Mystery Box of ingredients.
- A pre- and post-campaign dipstick survey showcased increased top of mind recall for Cadbury compared to competitors by as much as 4% and an increased consideration to purchase (on weekly frequency) by 9%.
- Sales numbers from Mondelez showed an increase in penetration of CDM in Chennai; household penetration in Sec A Category increased by 4.5% in Chennai and 2.1% in Tamil Nadu.
- Data from Mondelez also showed a Market Share Gain in CDM Plain of 2.7%+ in Chennai and Increase of 1.5% in Tamil Nadu Overall in April’2019
- The campaign also positively impacted the Brand Health Metrics - Sharing With Family, Friends Or Colleagues, When A Smooth Taste Is Important, Snacking On When You Are On The Go, Is more innovative, Melt-in-your-mouth Chocolates