Overview of this campaign
•As with basically all news media companies, HS has been struggling with decreasing print reach
•Media sales euros have been declining together with print circulation
•Online media sales have not been enough to off-set print sales trend
•From media sales perspective, HS’s strengths are e.g. very committed subscriber base in print, and top-of-class online services that are converting online subscribers at an increasing pace
Strategy / Objectives:
•Start selling total HS audience no matter which device or channel they use to read the content
- Stabilize reach combining print and online
- Meet ambitious business case / sales targets
- Transform sales model from selling decreasing print reach to selling increasing total reach.
- Duplicate print's attention value / effectiveness to online channels and monetize online inventory.
Results for this campaign
- We successfully productized multi-channel ad products that are effective both in print and online channels.
- Products increased print-only reach by 18%
- Are "transform-proof", meaning their reach is not decreasing anymore but actually increasing year by year together with online reach.
- High attention value in print and online (viewability rate between 70%-80%)
- Cross media effect: ads that are seen in both online and print are much more effective than ads show only in single channel.
- Easy-to-buy solution: streamlined purchasing process.
- Sales organization mind set has been transformed: from selling print-only products to selling more effective (and more expensive) print+online bundles.
- Improved significantly our position in annual contract negotiations with customers. Now we were able to sell products that had increasing reach and effectiveness. Price increases were communicated successfully to customers.
- HS front page sales have incraesed 3 years in a row.
- HS multi-channel full page was launched in 12/2017. Results from 1/2018: volume up by 15% and sales by 10% (compared to print-only full pages the previous year).