USA TODAY NETWORK Brand Refresh: Print
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
USA TODAY NETWORK is comprised of USA TODAY and over 100 local brands - we are the largest local to national media company.
Over the past year, we have been unifying the network by amplifying the connection across our brands at an epic scale. Through interdepartmental collaboration, we cross-pollinated our resources to better align ourselves with high impact updates across digital, print, video, and social platforms.
Objective of the network-wide refresh:
• modernize our visual storytelling
• unify our digital network
• signal to our advertisers and partnerships the range and reach of our resources
• create a more contemporary look for our audiences and visually demonstrate to the nation that we’re all in this together.
As part of the Brand Refresh, we refreshed the look and feel of all of its print products, including USA TODAY and 109 local market newspapers, launching the design refresh simultaneously across all papers on October 30, 2017.
Results for this campaign
The print refresh changes included:
• Two new custom typefaces, Unify Sans and Unify Serif, for connecting our print and digital products across the network and enhancing readability. All typography was changed to the new fonts.
• Design grids styles that create a visual connection across our network, while retaining historic mastheads and content unique to each local market.
• Print products have a new four-column grid structure, creating a unified layout across all print products from USA TODAY NETWORK. In addition, all page grids and color palettes were aligned. A universal page flag structure was created to allow shared designs. Circular motifs were introduced into logos and columnist pictures to reflect that shape’s important role in our brand’s identity.
• Simultaneously, advertising launched all new ad sizes based on page percentages, and including advertising engineered to work seamlessly into the new inside page flags. The structure of those flags was done in collaboration between the editorial design teams and advertising.
• Creation of new foundational graphics and data visualization styles that enhance visual storytelling and connect our brands and products
• Interdepartmental collaboration across Local Design Studios, Brand and Editorial