A dash of Whimsy – Disruption of traditional approach of calming leadership
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
During Onam festival,(advertisers and media planners) are bombarded with exaggerated claims of market coverage.
Our latest Onam trade campaign contained over-the-top and whimsical films that typify Malayalis and their shopping habits. Unlike the usual drab and boring B2B campaigns, we used humour to establish our brand as ‘Kerala’s most formidable media force’. The campaign was unique combining print and digital and disrupted the traditional approach of claiming leadership.
- To disrupt the traditional approach of showcasing a brand’s and extend the experience of integration to help our clients achieve their festive goals in Kerala
- Understand the Onam shopping habits of Malayalis and then added the filter of "What if Malayalis bought anything that was advertised in a Mathrubhumi vertical?"
- To increase our market share during the festival period
- To increase our revenues during the festive period, compared to last year
Results for this campaign
Campaign: While mostly a digital campaign, we have also exploited the print media, through print advertisements with QR codes that can be scanned to view the films. The challenge then was to see how we could integrate a minimum of two of our verticals into every ad. A series of print ads appeared on trade publications, but these weren’t ordinary ads. The ads are in phonetic Malayalam. Readers were prompted to know what the gibberish looking questions meant via QR codes or to key in a link. Each QR code or link throws up a unique tongue-in-cheek film of Malayalees and their Onam purchase decisions and ends with a call to action to explore Mathrubhumi Groups custom integrated offerings. A simple interactive contest followed giving an opportunity for participants to win an all-expenses paid trip to Kerala and truly experience God’s Own Country.
The campaign, in addition to Print and digital, was also extended through direct mailers to advertising partners in media across the country.
Leveraging on the festive momentum, Mathrubhumi seeks to establish itself as a goto platform for advertising everything Malayali, but does so through whimsy and subtlety.
- We experienced a 50 % growth in our ad revenue, compared to last onam
- Over 30 national brands associated with us during the festive period
- We were positioned as a innovative brand
- Our market share increased and consolidated further
- We experienced an