When a young newspaper established its position in a cluttered & commoditized market with over 15,673 newspapers
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
Context and Marketing Challenge:
- The media-scape in Maharashtra (India) is highly cluttered with over 15,673 registered newspapers
- The news market is commoditized with very little to differentiate between various newspapers
- While impartial, unbiased and fearless journalism are hygiene factors in the category, two of the leading newspapers of Maharashtra have clear political leanings
- Divya Marathi, a new entrant in the market had to arrive at a distinct positioning that would help in establishing its brand equity in this turf.
A qualitative research conducted by Market Sapience, followed by focused group discussions, showed ‘independent newspaper’ as a possible positioning platform.
“Only an independent newspaper can help a reader form an independent opinion.”- We decided to work on this insight.
Objective: To strengthen Divya Marathi's equity as Maharashtra's Independent Newspaper (Swatantra Vrittpatra)
Results for this campaign
- In a quantitative research conducted by Market Sapience, our Equity as an independent newspaper went up from 82% (Dec 2016) to 91% (Nov 2017).
- ‘Empowering Independent Thinking’ as an attribute of Independent newspaper went up from 7% (Dec 2016) to 32% in (Nov 2017).
- And our circulation went up by 9.2%