The reinvention of print - GOL Brazilian airline and Folha de S.Paulo
Overview of this campaign
Gol is a Brazilian airline that wants to change its perception of being just a low-cost company by changing its value proposition, and offering new services to its clients, such as providing on board internet, more legroom on the airplanes, a new App that helps passengers plan their trips in advance and save time, etc. Its new advertising campaign, created by Almap BBDO agency, had the challenge to spread these novelties.
As the leading news media brand in Brazil, Folha de S.Paulo was able to offer Gol its vast audience of more than 20 million different readers, in print and digital platforms, to enhance its image of a new airline. But the challenge was how to offer a unique advertising action that would be able to make an impact and meet Gol’s expectations.
Folha de S.Paulo’s solution:
- To draw the public’s attention, besides offering a premium visibility at Folha Digital, including its Home Page, Folha de S.Paulo developed a new idea in print to give an exclusive, unique and unprecedented impact ad solution, featured in the first section of the newspaper.
- In a single and unprecedented edition, Folha de S.Paulo made its entire first section wider, through a seven-column format.
- Gol appeared on the front page of the newspaper, with a revolutionary vertical ad on the seventh column.
- On pages 2 and 3, instead of the usual editorials, an enhanced ad of Gol was published as a window.
- Besides that, for the first time, Folha’s Newsroom agreed to advance a summary of the breaking news in a double page, to give the readers the idea of saving time by reading the whole edition in just two pages, in synergy with Gol’s campaign (”more life in your time”).
Results for this campaign
Besides a high and positive impact nationwide, this remarkable action helped Gol’s brand to improve its position when people think about an airline company. According to Datafolha Research Institute’s survey in 2017, Gol improved its position in brand awareness, and reached the first place as a top of mind brand in Brazil, when people think about an airline company.