Summer Time Magazine
Overview of this campaign
The objectives of the Summer Time magazine were to;
- utilise audience insights to deliver a product that was relevant to readers and advertisers
- grow incremental revenue and attract prestige lifestyle advertisers
- supplement our traditional newspapers with a seasonal magazine that included relevant and hyperlocal content suited to a highly affluent audience
- experiment with a smaller size product with higher quality stock, resulting in a longer lasting product designed to linger throughout the summer period
- build out a digital solution and social media strategy to accompany the launch and content of the magazine
Although the magazine was being onserted to a number of our publications, and therefore would be distributed through our main distribution channel, it was important to communicate to our readers in advance that the magazine would feature a different content mix than their host product.
We also experimented with alternative distribution strategies; sampling with walking boards and distributing free copies throughout the CBD in cafes and venues.
The marketing and communication objectives were to;
- pre-promote and create awareness of the NewsLocal Summer Time magazine to existing readers
- reach non-readers through other mediums that the magazine targets, who may not currently read our products to encourage them to pick up the magazine
- engage a lapsed audience to pick up their local paper and Summer Time magazine on the day it is distributed
- explore alternative distribution methods for Inner City suburbs and Manly
- create awareness of Summer Time and NewsLocal’s seasonal magazine series to trade media, agencies and direct advertising clients
Results for this campaign
The Summer Time magazine was a success from both an audience and advertising perspective.
- The content mix of the magazine was spot on with focus group participants saying the addition of the magazine added a “fresh, premium reading experience” and reengaged some lapsed readers, especially the ‘What’s on’ event based content
- In total 225,000 copies were distributed through our traditional newspaper home delivery channel, with an additional 7000 copies distributed through sampling and venue pick up
- Over $50k incremental revenue was booked into the publication and our advertisers saw a direct increase in sales as a result
- Our pre-promote house advertising schedule alongside editorial pointers created awareness of the product a week prior to launch
- The paid social media advertising reached 318,891 people, with an ad recall lift of 22,660 people
- Supplementary digital content saw 10,979 page views with 9,013 UBs
- The digital replicas of the magazine saw 3,084 impressions with an average read time of 4 minutes 50 seconds
- Our media release resulted in 3 pieces of coverage across trade publications
- Client gifts were well received
On the back of the initial success with Summer Time, we have produced a custom publishing calendar that will deliver four seasonal magazines over the next 12 months.