Racism Stops With Me
Media associated with this campaign
Overview of this campaign
- To build a network of South African organisations committed to ending racism in South Africa including a year-long public campaign to get South Africans talking and proposing solutions to growing acts of race-based attacks.
- To commit space on Independent Media platforms, print and digital, for ongoing RSWM advertising campaigns and editorial.
- To train a cadre of 100 young journalists to focus and report on racism throughout the year and have access to our platforms and resources for their storytelling
- To mine our archives to retell stories from South Africa's apartheid past that had been told through the lens of racism
- To investigate and report on structural, incidental and pervasive racism in all South African institutions and industries AND probe and share successful solutions.
- To design specific calls to action for all South Africans and organisations that result in behavioral change, including public support for RSWM
- To host a series of events at community level for a conversation on racism
- To use video storytelling to drive engagement
- To engage ALL parts of Independent Media in driving the campaign.
Results for this campaign
1. 100 new graduates - with journalism, communications, design and marketing qualifications - were placed in newsrooms, marketing, human resources, design and digital under the mentorship of editors and managers after an intensive one-month bootcamp training by our own staff with modules on the history of racism; fundamentals of journalism, solutions journalism; design theory; and media business models
2. Key organisations partnered with Independent Media. This included Sekunjalo Investment Holdings, the clothing and textile union SACTWU, the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation, the Fibre, Processing and Manufacturing Skills Education Training Authority, and dozens of community based organisations and universities/colleges. They rolled out their own events and activations and participated in the events hosted by Independent Media
3. Pledge boards were set up at offices of Independent Media around South Africa - AND distributed to dozens of educational and business organisations that requested the boards - for staff to visibly pledge their support for the campaign and to speak out against racism.
4. An advertising campaign was run in all print titles of Independent Media - with a combined distribution of 1.2 million which resulted in 10s of 1000s of South Africans completing Racism Stops With Me pledge forms, tweeting and sending these forms in
5. Thousands of stories were carried over the course of the year focused on racism in South Africa, including structural and institutionalised racism in society and the workplace
6. Over 3000 videos were created by the interns, currently being edited and compiled, in which South Africans were asked a set of simple questions about racism and race relations in the country.