Overview of this campaign
October 2015 marked the 25 year milestone of Melbourne’s news powerhouse, The Herald Sun.
Identified as a timely opportunity to celebrate the brand, the strategic approach was for a multi-faceted campaign, hinged on a large-scale, consumer-facing event, to be underwritten by multiple sponsors with the aim of drawing widespread media coverage whilst meeting event-specific objectives:
- Contemporise the brand and encourage consumers and advertisers to reappraise the product
- Excite and engage staff about the milestone
- Celebrate our content – with a commemorative book launch at the event
- Thank our commercial and community partners
- Engage the wider Melbourne media to amplify the anniversary
- Give readers the opportunity to attend the event
We partnered with The Emerson - Australian Nightclub of the Year for the second successive year – to deliver an event at almost no cost to our business. Total marketing budget = $35,000. We offset almost the total cost of this event (valued in excess of $350,000) by securing sponsorships of key elements. This included food, beverage, venue, entertainment and staffing and enabled us to focus our modest budget on theming, AV and minor event incidentals.
- Wednesday October 7
- The Emerson, South Yarra
- 350 high-profile Melburnians in attendance
- A fun, Melbourne-only event celebrating the best of our city / state
- 6.00pm - 10.30pm
- Hold an event to derive significant free-to-air media coverage;
- Leverage our journalists and the relationships they have with the ‘who’s who’ of Melbourne to secure a high profile guest list;
- Create a commemorative coffee table book to give to staff and clients, and derive revenue from retail sales and subscriptions;
- Seek sponsorship for all food & beverage, venue, entertainment and staffing, to enable execution of a high-class, low-cost event.
Results for this campaign
- Reached an audience of 18.7 million Australians;
- Achieved publicity worth almost $3 million;
- Sold 1800+ copies of the commemorative coffee table book;
- Secured 438 media reports (iSentia report);
- Helped stem newspaper sales decline for the quarter – from 8.60% to 8.20% YOY – according to Australian Bureau of Circulation data.
- Herald Sun 25th highlights reel
- Cocktail event: 350 high-profile Melburnians celebrated the best of our city;
- Talent showcase: 25 top journalists invited 25 Victorian “icons”, highlighting the power and connectedness of our journalists and our brand
- Guest calibre: attendees included TV stars, actors, musicians, sports heroes, political leaders, key clients, staff, friends of News, including our Chairman and former Chairman, our senior executives, the Deputy Premier, Opposition Leader and Lord Mayor.
- Staff Engagement: commemorative book to all 1100 staff & Morning Tea hosted by Chairman and Executive Director;
- Cross-promotion: with Channel 7 and GOLD FM, worth $120K+ in media space, ran for 4 days, across 3 platforms and awarded 9 double pass winners.
- Social Media Amplification: #heraldsun25 was posted hundreds of times by guests… eg: Matt Preston (141K followers), The Project (327K followers)
- Dedicated 3-hour Breakfast Show: on Gold FM 104.3 Melbourne (8 October) with audience reach of 176,000 and ASR of $191,980.
• Ron Phillips – Dentsu Mitchell
“Thanks so much for the invitation … with a “who’s who” of Melbourne identities at The Emerson last night… It was a truly incredible evening and the 25 Years of Pictures provides a wonderful pictorial record of the last quarter of a century.”
• Alan Tobin – Turbo Marketing Pty Ltd
“Thank you so much for including me at last night’s awesome event. It proved, yet again, the power of the Herald Sun brand that you could attract that audience.”