Overview of this campaign
As a next-generation media company, Gannett has evolved from a traditional news subscription business to a membership-based model that showcases its ongoing commitment to deliver lasting value to the customers and communities it serves.
Cornerstone to its membership model is the “Insider” program, a free, members-only loyalty program available exclusively for Gannett subscribers in 26 of our 92 local community markets nationwide.
Launched in January 2015, the Insider program provides subscribers with added value and embedded benefits through access to local and national deals, discounts, events, experiences and unique content.
The goal of the Insider program is to deliver a more connected, experiential and deepened relationship with Gannett’s members and communities. Designed to attract new and digitally-savvy audiences, the Insider program aims to encourage repeat visits, log-ins, and engagement, coupled with increased customer acquisition and retention. The program features a responsive design website and can also accessed through each newspaper’s native app.
To take advantage of the Insider program, subscribers simply need to create an online account and log in to access their member benefits, such as deals and discounts at local and national restaurants and retailers, unique events like exclusive chef’s table dinners and tastings, VIP tickets to concerts and sporting events, and behind-the-scenes content on all things news and entertainment.
Results for this campaign
Since its launch in early 2015, the Insider program has been instrumental in driving deepened engagement and retention among Insider members across Gannett markets:
• 64% of members log in and return to Insider more than once a month
• 60% increase in Net Promoter Score among Insider members (vs. those who haven’t engaged with the program)
• An increase of 69% in time spent on site (among those staying 5-30 minutes)
• 10 percentage point increase in retention rate after 43 weeks in initial markets (Insider members vs. look-alike subscribers)
• 65% of Insider members report that the program adds value to their subscription
• Dramatic increase in member log-in percentage (33% for members)
• Insider members have higher overall satisfaction with Gannett’s brands
With huge success of the Insider program to date, Gannett will continue to enhance its flagship membership program and offerings in 2016 and beyond to include additional markets, enhanced functionality and personalization, and new membership options.
As consumers and the digital landscape continue to evolve, Gannett is leading the charge through innovative membership programs, offerings and experiences.