Overview of this campaign
The New York Times is constantly striving to capture the minds of the intellectually curious, and satisfy their curiosity in engaging and innovative ways. As the emphasis on digital becomes increasingly pervasive for news media, The New York Times continues to be a leader in explorations in the space, delivering content optimized for mobile and web consumption via new channels and products.
On March 27, 2014, The New York Times began publishing the new NYT Now Morning Briefing. The goals of the NYT Now Morning Briefing are:
• Tell users what they need to know, quickly. Pick the most important stories of the day. Give users a quick summary so they feel caught up, but not overwhelmed.
• Make users feel prepared for the day ahead.
• Satisfy the users’ intellectually curiosity — tell them interesting things that enrich their lives.
The NYT Now Morning Briefing presents a summary of the most important and interesting news of the day as an all-in-one article. Published in the 6 a.m. hour every weekday morning, the NYT Now Morning Briefing pulls together the major highlights of key stories to help prepare readers for their day ahead. This briefing is published to the web, is available inside the NYT mobile properties (including NYT Now) and is distributed in a dedicated newsletter, to which subscription is free.
Results for this campaign
The NYT Now Morning Briefing has been available for less than a year, and has received an overwhelmingly positive reception and adoption from users.
• Readership base consistently growing daily.
• Growth of email newsletter distribution; since the NYT Now Morning Briefing became available as a newsletter in November 2014, the subscriber base has grown above six figures.
• Open rates of the email newsletter well over 50 percent daily.
• The NYT Now Morning Briefing is attracting a new audience to The New York Times, as a large portion of readers (particularly newsletter subscribers) of the briefing have not previously registered emails with The New York Times.
• The NYT Now Morning Briefing is consistently driving the single most engagement of all content inside the NYT Now mobile app on a daily basis.
The New York Times does have a host of content offerings. However, the NYT Now Morning Briefing has provided an opportunity to reach a broad audience and drive an increasing amount of habituation. Email open rates and daily readership exceed those of other high-profile NYT content, and this briefing has proved to be an incredibly strong traffic driver for The New York Times.