Seven newsmedia executives were elected to terms on the INMA Board of Directors today during the association's annual business meeting held at the INMA World Congress in New York.
Elected to the top leadership positions for two-year terms beginning June 1 were:
- President: Ravi Dhariwal, chief executive officer of Bennett, Coleman & Company Ltd., which publishes The Times of India.
- Vice President: Yasmin Namini, senior vice president/marketing and circulation and general manager/reader applications of The New York Times Media Group. Namini is scheduled to succeed Dhariwal and serve as president in 2013-2015.
Michael Phelps, CEO of the Washington Examiner, steps down as president and assumes the role of immediate past president.
As CEO of Bennett, Coleman & Company, Dhariwal serves on the company's board of directors and has responsibility for the Times of India publishing businesses. Based in New Delhi, Dhariwal sits on the boards of other Times media companies in radio, events, outdoor, and television. He previously served in senior marketing and executive positions with Unilever and PepsiCo and has worked in South Africa, Hungary, Eastern Europe, the Philippines, and other Southeast Asian countries.
Namini has worked with The New York Times Company since 1984. Her tenure includes stints as vice president, circulation marketing for The New York Times; senior vice president, consumer marketing at the New England Media Group; senior vice president, circulation and chief customer officer at The Boston Globe; senior vice president, circulation, The New York Times; and her current post as senior vice president/marketing and circulation and general manager of readership applications for The New York Times Media Group.
Meanwhile, INMA members elected to the Board of Directors are:
- Sandra Gomez, director of special projects, Editorial Altamirano Madriz, San Salvador, El Salvador.
- Pit Gottschalk, head of the CEO's newspaper office, Axel Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Ross McPherson, executive chairman of McPherson Media Group, Shepparton, Australia.
- John Paton, chief executive officer, Journal Register Company, USA.
- Abraham Van Zyl, chief executive officer, Media24 Newspapers, South Africa.
Retiring from the INMA Board of Directors are:
- Dissica Calderaro, director of marketing and planning for A Critica in Manaus, Brazil.
- Ed Efchak, president of Customers By Design, USA, as immediate past president of INMA.
- Harold Grönke, managing director of Verlag Dierichs in Kassel, Germany.
- Lukas Widjaja, senior advisor to the CEO of Kompas Daily in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The INMA Board of Directors is the governing body of the 81-year-old INMA