Immersive reality — also known as Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality — is here, and it’s time for news media companies to do more within it, however that looks for their specific company.
In the latest “INMA Knows” distillation, we bring to you a robust collection of best practices and case studies from media companies around the world that are wading or jumping into the metaverse.
The technology needed for immersive reality storytelling is not new, but, like all tech, it has improved vastly in terms of the creator and user experience.
- In 2019, Jang Real of India created an AR cricket app that connected to its print product.
- During the early pandemic, USA today gamified social distancing with an AR app.
- During the 2022 U.S. Super Bowl, Miller Lite beer hosted a virtual bar.
As the industry case studies grow, so will this INMA Knows category.
INMA Knows is a content surfacing project designed to personally curate all association resources on a single subject of high interest to INMA members. This is the 21st topic curated for the project.
Here are a list of all the live topics:
- AI and the Newsroom
- Australia and Big Tech
- Connecting with Community
- COVID-19 response
- Digital Platforms
- Female Readership
- Immersive Reality Storytelling
- Newsroom Dashboards
- Podcasts and Audio
- Print Engagement
- Smart Pricing
- Subscriber Retention
- Team Management
- Third-party cookies and advertising
- Trust In Media
- Virtual Events
- Young Readers
We curate subjects of importance as they rise to the surface, and these subjects are updated regularly. This is a free service for INMA members. If you have a subject matter recommendation, let me know.