INMA debuted its Elevate Schohlarship programme, in partnership with the Google News Initiative, in 2020 with 50 winners from 18 countries. It’s now time to start working on the 2021 class of scholars.
INMA members can apply or nominate someone for the INMA Elevate Scholarship, a programme sponsored by the Google News Initiative and designed to strengthen the future of the news business by embracing and elevating historically under-represented and disadvantaged groups in mid-level roles at news media companies.
To be considered for the Elevate Scholarship, you must:
- Be employed by a news media company.
- Hold a position below senior management at your organisation.
- Be in the business of news media for less than 15 years.
- Be under age 45.
- Aspire to become a top manager at a news media company.
- Be a part of an under-represented and disadvantaged group within your country.
Up to 50 recipients will receive:
- Public recognition via INMA announcements and a scholarship certificate.
- Free access to 3 INMA Master Classes.
- Free membership in INMA for one year — with full and unfettered access to the association’s global community.
- Free mentoring video meet-up with Google and INMA to discuss the news industry and career development.
One of the 50 winners from 2020, John Constantine, digital marketing associate at Dow Jones in the United States, said this about the experience:
“This opportunity allowed me access to people and rooms that I would have never been in so early in my career. When entering into marketing, it is easy to get wrapped up into your specialty or specific job. INMA allows you to get a top level understanding of media and strategy that will help you in board rooms across the globe. Networking, listening, and learning from the top c-suite executives regarding marketing, data, news, and acquisition has been the best experience.”
Onyinyechi Eze, head of digital services at Business Day in Nigeria, had a similar experience as a scholarship recipient last year:
“The scholarship has granted me access to increasing my knowledge and skill on digital strategies for success in the media industry. I learnt topics on product initiatives, smart data, leadership, to digital subscription acquisition and retention strategies. It has been a major boost in my career growth and development. As an Elevate recipient, you get world-class trainings from industry leaders, share experience with the media global players, and [are] part of exclusive summits that reshape the media across continents.:
Apply or nominate someone here. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 24.