Career guidance has always been a tricky subject for parents to broach with their children, and moreso in this modern age of countless opportunities fueled by technological advances. When Mathrubhumi launched Reimagine the Future, an integrated campaign that began in 2017 to communicate awareness about alternative careers, the primary goal was to alleviate fears of parents when it came to their children straying off the beaten and seemingly safe path. A fundamental change in the process of selecting one’s career was certainly the need of the hour.
The overwhelming response to the initiative more than convinced us to stay committed to the cause and embark on Reimagine the Future season two.
To re-engage the public, we envisioned a fresh look to the campaign, bringing in three well-known personalities from diverse field — people who have made it big outside of conventional careers. And that wasn’t all. We also had a special message from Member of Parliament Dr. Shashi Tharoor, who spoke about the initiative.
Our season two iteration included the following elements:
- Activation video: Under the pretext of an open house, our team shot live videos at a school in Kochi, capturing unexpected interactions between parents, kids, and a handful of selected people who have pursued alternative careers with full conviction.
- Online quiz: With the aim of checking parents’ awareness about career options available today, we conducted an online test featuring a set of pertinent questions.
- Live event: We conceptualised a half-day event in the format of a TED talk, bringing together actor Prakash Raj, Indian Football Team captain Sunil Chhetri, and stand-up comedian Ramesh Pisharody under one roof. Sharing their unique stories, these larger than life personalities captivated the audience, engaging parents and students alike. The programme was promoted across all our media platforms (daily, radio, online, news, social media) apart from being live streamed to ensure maximum reach.
Leveraging the power of technology and with meticulous planning, we organised venues in four districts of Kerala, fully outfitted with video conferencing facilities to seamlessly connect the guests with our speakers.
The response to season two was equally staggering and has only strengthened our resolve to pursue this further in coming years. It has had a positive impact on the business and the brand over the past year with collaboration seen across the various departments of Mathrubhumi.
- The activation video alone garnered 1.8 million views across our social media platforms.
- The Reimagine the Future live event conducted in various cities, including Thiruvananthapuram, Kozhikode, Thrissur, and Kochi, witnessed over 2,000 footfalls of parents and students. In Kochi, more than 6,500 students attended the events.
- The initiative has been applauded by thousands of parents across the state, having opened their eyes to the myriad opportunities available for their kids today.
Ours is a brand born of the freedom struggle in India and with a 96-year heritage. We will always advocate, continue to spread awareness, and encourage the next generation to pursue what is best for them in the coming times. Mathrubhumi remains at the forefront of change for the better.