As we see an accelerated decrease in sales of magazines and newspapers, with newspapers under greatest threat, how do we extend the life of traditional products? How do we recover the loss of our core business? We see growth in digital but at very low rates — mere cents — and 80% of that is taken by platforms like Google and Facebook. Is there sustainability after 2020?
The ecosystem takes an innovative approach to journalism with coverage based primarily on information provided by the main cities in Argentina. The national network is 100% digital and was built around technology that increases efficiency and productivity.
A central newsroom includes national and international news nodes. The content sites include national and international information (originating in the central node), but they focus on hyper-local and regional content and social networks promoted by citisen participation. Regionalised coverage is accomplished through capillarity with local nodes that cover smaller districts with limited cost and some automated content.
In Argentina, it is the first and widest network of national and hyper-local media, offering a wide range of content and services and the ability to escalate content production:
- The content network is disruptive and original, based on breaking news and viral local and vertical for the entire network.
- It seeks to occupy the entire national territory: one digital site in each city/district of Argentina (2,222 total cities/districts).
- The big cities (43 with 100,000+ population) — 60% of the total population — will be covered by newsrooms or local journalists through franchised companies and strategic partners.
- The main consumption platform is mobile phones.
- The platform is scalable and flexible, allowing us to incorporate new technologies and grow with the development of the local communities.
The creation of this digital ecosystem has established a digital culture within Grupo Clarín and positions the company as the main news source of local journalism in all the country, making it a competitor on a national scale.
The main national brand and local brands intend to create a bond with local audiences and open new markets as monetisation channels. This ecosystem also promotes partnership agreements with local media to generate content and services, and occupies the void left by the local press.
It creates several opportunities for monetisation. The first is Cimeco’s CMI Advertising sales network. The elasticity of the model also allows for additional income experimentation based on the strength of local segmentation to develop e-commerce, sponsored content, 360 models, etc.
Other key opportunities of VíaPaís include:
- Alliances with third parties (franchisees/partners).
- Broad citizen participation.
- Influence on national, provincial, and local agendas.
Digital Ecosystem Vía País also constitutes a test for robotisation of content and Big Data. From its inception, we will begin gathering knowledge that can be used to automate content generation. Given its low-cost structure, efficient use of existing resources, monetisation opportunities, and innate flexibility, this platform also can become Grupo Clarín’s gateway to international markets.