When running an RTB (real-time bidding) network across 10 markets, there is a lot for publishers to learn. Attila Barta, head of Cadreon, shared insights on the second day of the second day of the INMA European Media Conference in Budapest, Hungary, about the strengths, weaknesses, pitfalls, and opportunities for publishers while working with a programmatic agency network.
Consider these statistics:
- 60% percent of publishers in Europe trade at least 20% of their display advertising revenue programmatically.
- About 37% that trade 80% of their display advertising manually, which means there is plenty of space for growth.
Barta pointed out some of the strengths and opportunities in this area, outlining, the top five reasons for investing in programmatic:
- Maximising media value.
- Trading/operational efficiencies.
- Client demand.
- Marking premium inventory available at scale.
- Increased value of inventory.
Of course, this also means there are weaknesses and pitfalls – barriers to programmatic adoption – that need to be addressed. These include:
- Hiring and training people with the right skill set.
- Having a clear understanding of the impact of programmatic trading on total revenue.
- Selecting and setting up the right technology.
- Cost of technology.