Overview of this campaign
The main opportunity we saw was that all publishing houses are facing more or less the same challenges in regional markets as we do. As we already have successful solutions we decided to start to offer them to other publishing houses.
However we knew that this can only be successful if we have guidelines for ourselves, so before we started we defined those 5 Rules:
• We offer our services and solutions to publishing houses and media companies.
• We strive for a network effect – new inputs are welcome and improve the produce for all partners.
• We‘re not a software house nor are we selling software - we offer only solutions as SAAS (Software as a service) that have already shown their success in our markets.
• All solutions are in partnerships with Russmedia IT (hosting) and Russmedia Digital Innovation Team for constant innovations.
• One face to the customer - with strict and flat hierarchy.
Of course we also were looking for additional revenue out of our core business. However besides that, we were looking for new inputs and a network effect that will make our products better as well. And with the additional revenue we can co-finance our development department and improve and stack up the team.
We started with three main products:
• News Platform including a content management system based on WordPress.
• APP-framework for individual news-applications – also based and compatible with WordPress.
• A citizen participation platform, that offers a direct contact to readers across all devices.
The Start of Russmedia Solutions was in Mid. of 2014 with the first meetings. By the end of 2014 we wanted to have the first customer.
Results for this campaign
Within the first 3 months we were able to acquire the HNA (Hessische/Niedersächsische Allgemeine), a member of Verlag Dierichs GmbH & Co KG, and Funke Digital, the digital provider of the FUNKE MEDIENGRUPPE, as customers.
With the HNA we developed an individual news app for their portal “Kassel live”. The app is directly fed from their existing CMS. “Kassel live” is designed to deliver local and hyperlocal content quickly and in a user-friendly format. The ability to inform users through push notifications in the app supports this focus and state of the art social sharing functions are included in the news river and in every article. Furthermore, customers have the ability to tailor their experience by selecting their favorite news categories in the app.
Funke Digital signed two instances of our Citizen Forum (Web/Mobile). The first implementation will be used for the postal code are 38 in Germany and will be run by the Braunschweiger Zeitung. Alarm38.de has been live since the end of October. The portal is already well integrated in the community and generates new hyperlocal stories every day.
And in the beginning of 2015 the NZZ Mediengruppe partnered up with us to establish a network of regional news portals in Switzerland. We act as full service technical partner and deliver all aspects from the technical side with the CMS, 24/7 support and host the portals. The first news portal is FM1Today and has been live since October 2015.
We succeeded in all our preliminary goals for 2015. Since the beginning of the year we have sold all our products at least once, we achieved two times our revenue goals and we were able to build up our development team by 30%. Every successfully delivered project brings important inputs that are then used to improve Russmedia’s own media solutions and services. However, the biggest success for us is the value that our solutions have brought to our partners and seeing them reach and exceed their own goals.