Overview of this campaign
- Attract a new digital audience who value content that engages them beyond headlines and snapshots;
- Provide a digital platform for rich and immersive story-telling, built around Toronto Star's lauded and trusted journalism - and deliver it free every day to a local and national readership who value high-calibre and respected editorial;
Results for this campaign
- Launched on September 15, 2015, the free app has set a new precedent for news consumption in English Canada;
- A positive reception in a highly competitive media landscape has led to 200,000 downloads in under 5 months (for a tablet-only app);
- Apple selected Star Touch as one of the Best Apps of 2015 and it was featured in the iPad starter kit over the holiday period. Even now, the Apple editors' comments are part of the intro for Star Touch on the App Store;
- Awareness of the app and the integrity of the Star brand have resulted in overall uptake across all platforms for Toronto Star, with print subscriptions performing over expectation, an increase in downloads of the Star's smartphone app, and more visitors to thestar.com website.