Dirk Milbou, business manager/consumer relations at De Persgroep, discussed the relationship between better customer data management and doing better business during the 7-minute Brainsnacks session at the INMA European Media Conference in Budapest, Hungary.
De Persgroep’s long-term data strategy involved these five steps:
- Collect data (a sign-in process is crucial).
- Store (make data availabe centrally). New data architecture is needed for all consumer-related processes.
- Control (data governance to enhance customer experience). Data privacy and protection are needed to avoid leakage.
- Analyse (make your data speak).
- Act (without action, data is just a bunch of data).
The change is not easy, Milbou continued:
- It is an organisational challenge.
- It is time and cost consuming.
- Tools and techniques evolve quickly.
- You must inject new skills and train your data people.
- You must start small and create evidence. You can’t define everything up front.